Whiskeypedia in Bressuire
Whatever the celebration, Saint Patrick is never forgotten.
Last Friday, Mary PINET, the president of the committee, organized a whiskey-tasting party.
And the Master of Ceremony was Jean-Pierre FAGNON, a wine specialist and a former chieftain of the Bressuire Highland Games.
And, of course, it was a great opportunity for many whisky-lovers to discover that Ireland can produce wonderful whisk(e)ys, too.
In spite of the different spelling, they did enjoy the Irish "water of life" and even asked for more.
Just have a look at the line-up!
And yesterday -no link with whiskey-tasting, the townhall turned green for a few hours.
Daffodilds in the foreground, a green city hall in the background: what a view for the Bressuire people (photo by Jacques Paquereau)!
Definitely, Saint Patrick makes miracles in our city which is famous for its Highland Games and for its Celtic twinnings.
A Franco-Irish quiz
And, a few years ago, right between the Irish stew and the apple crumble, Mary PINET celebrated Saint Patrick with a Franco-Irish quiz concocted by Maureen Hugo.
Want to see how much you know about France and Ireland?
Paddy's day's quiz in 20 questions asked by Mary Pinet
2) Which famous French cheese of eastern France was invented by Irish monks?
3) Give the name of the Irish cyclist who won the Tour de France.
4) Give the name of the Irishman who invented and marketed a highly popular fine French drink which carries his name.
5) What are the colours of the Irish flag? What do the colours represent?
6) Can you name at least 2 Irish writers who lived in France?
7) Where did St Patrick come from?
8) What currency is used in Ireland?
9) Which two ports did the Titanic visit after leaving Southampton?
10) Do France and Ireland have the same time in winter and in summer?
11) Which drink is the emblem of Ireland?
12) Which parent company owns this drink?
13) In France the evening meal is called “le diner”. What is it called in Ireland?
14) Can you name two American presidents with Irish ancestors?
15) Which French president was of Irish stock?
16) What is the connection between Ireland and Dracula?
17) In which year did the Normans invade Ireland?
18) How many Irish people live in France?
19) What is the population of Ireland?20) What is the population of France?
Many thanks to Mary and to her French-Irish committee for creating such a great atmosph’EIRE!
Hats off for your celebrations!
Hats on for the photo!