And so it was that, albeit a few days before the Day itself, the village hall of Terves was bedecked with giant shamrocks and Irish flags, thus becoming the venue for a most enjoyable evening.
A great atmosph'Eire
A Franco-Irish quiz concocted by Maureen Hugo soon had the guests vying with one another to air their general knowledge.
This intellectual effort was rewarded with a delicious meal: Irish Stew followed by apple crumble.
2) Which famous French cheese of eastern France was invented by Irish monks?
3) Give the name of the Irish cyclist who won the Tour de France.
4) Give the name of the Irishman who invented and marketed a highly popular fine French drink which carries his name.
5) What are the colours of the Irish flag? What do the colours represent?
6) Can you name at least 2 Irish writers who lived in France?
7) Where did St Patrick come from?
8) What currency is used in Ireland?
9) Which two ports did the Titanic visit after leaving Southampton?
10) Do France and Ireland have the same time in winter and in summer?
11) Which drink is the emblem of Ireland?
12) Which parent company owns this drink?
13) In France the evening meal is called “le diner”. What is it called in Ireland?
14) Can you name two American presidents with Irish ancestors?
15) Which French president was of Irish stock?
16) What is the connection between Ireland and Dracula?
17) In which year did the Normans invade Ireland?
18) How many Irish people live in France?
19) What is the population of Ireland?20) What is the population of France?
1 De Gaulle
2 Le munster.
3 Stephan Roche
4 Hennessy Cognac.
5 Green White and Gold or Orange. Green for the catholics,Gold or Orange for the protestants and white for peace between the 2 communities
6 Beckett, O Wilde, J Joyce, Singe, and Yeats
7 According to the legend, from France where he was a slave.
8 The Euro
9 Cherbourg and Cork
10 Ireland is one hour behind.
14 Kennedy, Reagan and Obama. Obama’s great grandfather on his mother’s side was Thurlough Kearney.
15 Mac Mahon 1st président of the third republic
16 Bram Stroker, Irish writer.
19 4.5 million
20 65 million